avoirdupois pound in a sentence
1) Since 1 July 1959, the international avoirdupois pound has been defined as exactly .
2) During the reign of Queen Elizabeth, the avoirdupois pound was redefined as 7,000 troy grains.
3) The troy pound should be abbreviated lb. t. to distinguish it from the more common avoirdupois pound.
4) The avoirdupois pound, also known as the wool pound, first came into general use c. 1300.
avoirdupois pound example sentences5) The avoirdupois pound is sometimes abbreviated lb av or lb ap to distinguish it from the less common troy pound.
6) There are 27.34 grains in one dram, 16 drams to one ounce and 16 ounces to one avoirdupois pound.
7) In medieval England the fotmal was equal to 70 "mercantile" pounds, which is equivalent to 72 avoirdupois pounds .
8) The U. S. and British governments have agreed that a yard equals exactly 0.9144 meter and an avoirdupois pound equals exactly 0.453 592 37 kilograms.
9) Larger denominations of weight were needed, and the smallest value in common use was the stone - which finally settled at 14 avoirdupois pounds.
10) A later system of weights introduced the haber de peyse or avoirdupois pound, which was eventually fixed at 7 000 grains and divided into 16 ounces each of 16 drams.
11) The troy and avoirdupois pounds are connected by the grain : there are 5760 grains in a troy pound and 7000 grains in an avoirdupois pound.
12) The troy and avoirdupois pounds are connected by the grain : there are 5760 grains in a troy pound and 7000 grains in an avoirdupois pound.
13) Units of weight in both the imperial and US customary system always used the same standard, though differences in multiples of the avoirdupois pound developed in the nineteenth century.
14) The apothecaries and troy pounds are divided into 12 ounces (of 480 grains) while the avoirdupois pound has 16 ounces (of 437.5 grains).
example sentences with avoirdupois15) The troy pound (5760 grains) was used for precious metals, the apothecaries' pound, (also 5760 grains) was used by pharmacists and the avoirdupois pound (7000 grains) was used for general purposes.
16) U.S. federal law, which supersedes this handbook, also defines weight, particularly Net Weight, in terms of the avoirdupois pound or mass pound.
17) Similarly, the avoirdupois pound, used in both the Imperial system and U.S. customary units, is a unit of mass and its related unit of force is the pound-force.
18) It is often stated to have been 242 or 243 avoirdupois pounds but sometimes, much less commonly, it is stated as 296 (troy) pounds.
19) The larger avoirdupois pound for goods of commerce might have been based on volume of water which has a higher bulk density than grain.
20) A number of different definitions have been used, the most common today being the international avoirdupois pound which is legally defined as exactly, and which is divided into 16 avoirdupois ounces.
21) The avoirdupois (or "international") pound, used in both the Imperial system and U.S. customary units, is defined as exactly, making one kilogram approximately equal to 2.2046 avoirdupois pounds.
22) avoirdupois pounds per cubic inch (lb/cu in)
23) (17) "Ton", two thousand avoirdupois pounds.
24) (b) Statements of weight shall be in terms of avoirdupois pound and ounce.
25) Encyclopædia Britannica which uses either avoirdupois pounds or troy ounces, likely never both in the same article, and
26) The avoirdupois pound is divided into 16 ounces . By international agreement, one avoirdupois pound is equal to exactly 453.592 37 grams; this is exactly 175/144 = 1.215 28 troy pounds.
27) The avoirdupois pound is divided into 16 ounces . By international agreement, one avoirdupois pound is equal to exactly 453.592 37 grams; this is exactly 175/144 = 1.215 28 troy pounds.
28) By 1758, two Elizabethan Exchequer standard weights for the avoirdupois pound existed, and when measured in troy grains they were found to be of 7,002 grains and 6,999 grains. [ 12 ] [ 13 ]
These examples have been automatically selected and may contain sensitive content that does not reflect the opinions or policies of our website. Please inform us about the inappropriate sentences:
This site is designed to teach you English words in context with collocations with the help of example sentences.
You can easily memorize the word and the meaning of avoirdupois pound
and This is a fast way of learning the meaning of avoirdupois pound with example sentences.
Always focus on the learning on sentences with avoirdupois pound
We believe you will easily learn to write and use the word avoirdupois pound in a sentence.
You can practice spelling and usage of the word by getting 10 examples of sentences with avoirdupois pound.
20 examples of simple sentences of avoirdupois pound. We tried to find and publish the the words with Simple Sentences of avoirdupois pound
Compound Sentences with avoirdupois pound
Complex Sentences with avoirdupois pound
Compound-Complex Sentences with avoirdupois pound