Attalid in a sentence
1) The Attalid dynasty in Anatolia based at Pergamum.
2) Innis suggests that the Attalids probably preserved the masterpieces of ancient Greek prose.
3) The subsequent dynasty was named Attalid, in honour of Philetaerus'father Attalis.
4) Other poets celebrated the victories of the Seleucids and of the Attalids against the same barbarians.
Attalid example sentences5) Starting from a simple fortress located on the Acropolis, the various Attalid kings set up a colossal architectural complex.
6) Innis contrasts the scholarly pursuits of the Attalid dynasty at Pergamum with what he sees as the dilettantism of Alexandria.
7) As is the case with most young dynasties, the Attalids sought to anchor their legitimacy with endowments and monumental construction projects.
8) The kingdom of Pergamon under the Attalid dynasty was an independent kingdom established after the rule of Philetaerus by his nephew Eumenes I.
9) Smaller states included: Attalid Pergamum, Pontus, Epirus, the Achaean League, the Aetolian League, Syracuse, and other states (like Athens, Sparta etc.).
10) The Seleucids controlled the former Persian Empire; the Ptolemies ruled in Egypt; the Attalids in Pergamum and the Antigonids in Macedonia.
11) Since the time of Philetaerus, the first Attalid ruler, the Galatians had posed a problem for Pergamon, indeed for all of Asia Minor, by exacting tributes to avoid war or other repercussions.
12) He was the second cousin and the adoptive son of Eumenes I, whom he succeeded, and was the first of the Attalid dynasty to assume the title of king in 238 BC.
13) In 189 BC, it was transferred by the Romans to their vassal, the Attalid dynasty's Hellenistic kingdom of Pergamon, in Asia Minor.
14) Pessinus was bequeathed with a sanctuary by the Attalid kings, perhaps after 183 BC, when Galatia was subject to Pergamene rule.
example sentences with Attalid15) Thus the founder of Rome, Romulus, was traditionally nursed only by a she-wolf, whereas Telephus, to whom the Attalids trace their ancestry, is shown in the frieze being suckled by a she-lion.
16) The Attalids were thus an emerging power with the desire to demonstrate their importance to the outside world through the construction of imposing buildings.
17) In 133 BC, when Eumenes III, the last king of the Attalid dynasty of Pergamum, was about to die without an heir, he bequeathed his kingdom to the Roman Republic in his will, and this included Smyrna.
18) Several of the regional powers captured or attacked the island, including the Athenians, the Persians, the Macedonians under Alexander the Great, the Seleucids and the Attalids.
19) A pretext for war was provided by Philip's refusal to end his war with Attalid Pergamum, and Rhodes, both Roman allies.
20) In 133 BC, when the last Attalid king Attalus III died without an heir, his will conferred his entire kingdom, including Smyrna, to the Romans.
21) As a result, Ephesus came under the rule of the Attalid king of Pergamon Eumenes II (197–133 BC).
22) Monuments to foreign kings were erected, notably those of the Attalid kings of Pergamon Attalos II (in front of the NW corner of the Parthenon), and Eumenes II, in front of the Propylaia.
23) In 133 BC the last Attalid king bequeathed his kingdom to the Roman Republic, and western and central Anatolia came under Roman control, but Hellenistic culture remained predominant.
24) Under the Hellenistic Attalid dynasty, Pergamon became the most powerful city-state in Asia Minor, rivalling Athens and Alexandria as a centre of culture.
25) 4) The Attalid dynasty in Anatolia [modern Turkey] based at Pergamum.
26) Philetaerus (4th/3rd century BCE): founder of the Attalid dynasty of Pergamum
27) Attalid dynasty
These examples have been automatically selected and may contain sensitive content that does not reflect the opinions or policies of our website. Please inform us about the inappropriate sentences:
This site is designed to teach you English words in context with collocations with the help of example sentences.
You can easily memorize the word and the meaning of Attalid
and This is a fast way of learning the meaning of Attalid with example sentences.
Always focus on the learning on sentences with Attalid
We believe you will easily learn to write and use the word Attalid in a sentence.
You can practice spelling and usage of the word by getting 10 examples of sentences with Attalid.
20 examples of simple sentences of Attalid. We tried to find and publish the the words with Simple Sentences of Attalid
Compound Sentences with Attalid
Complex Sentences with Attalid
Compound-Complex Sentences with Attalid