antipope in a sentence
1) For that reason he is sometimes considered the first antipope .
2) Then Council deposed the antipope and his followers.
3) Accordingly, the Vatican II popes have been antipopes .
antipope example sentences4) Such was the power assumed by a third-century antipope .
5) Antipope Clement III still occupied St. Peter's.
6) A Papal pretender is called an antipope .
7) The Byzantine Papacy was composed of the following popes and antipopes .
8) The council met, deposed both antipopes , and elected Alexander V.
9) Other cases include the numerous antipopes who have claimed the Holy See.
10) As a result, the council and the antipope were left without support.
11) Nevertheless, Henry V chose one more antipope , Gregory VIII.
12) Roger supported antipope Anacletus II against Innocent II.
13) Henry IV then proclaimed antipope Clement III to be Pope.
14) From 1378 Gaeta hosted for some years antipope Clement VII.
15) Even Catholics do not all agree whether certain historical figures were popes or antipopes .
example sentences with antipope16) We should compare his witness that Novatian usurped a similar power as antipope .
17) Frederick supported a succession of antipopes before finally making peace with Alexander in 1177.
18) What will Pope John XXII do about the new antipope ?
19) They elected Amadeus VIII, Duke of Savoy, as antipope .
20) Antipope John XXIII had a complicated life, legacy, and relationship with Florence.
21) This lack of precision in the election procedures occasionally gave rise to rival popes or antipopes .
22) Dhanens suggest the positioning of popes standing beside antipope shows "an atmosphere of reconciliation".
23) A new antipope has just come to power by popular support in the Vatican.
24) Though antipope movements were significant at one time, they are now overwhelmingly minor fringe causes.
25) Over the course of 37 years, the city was also the residence of several antipopes .
26) In 1164, Frederick Barbarossa made Viterbo the seat of his antipope Paschal III.
27) In 1411, the city obtained a set of protection and confirmation certificates from antipope John XXIII.
28) This pope assumed the name Gregory VIII, but came to be known as antipope Gregory VIII.
How to use antipope in a sentence29) He named his own pope antipope Clement III in the old manner of the Holy Roman Emperors.
30) Groups sometimes form around antipopes , who claim the Pontificate without being canonically and properly elected to it.
31) Cardinal Franco Ferrucci then crowned himself as Benedict VI's successor, becoming antipope Boniface VII.
32) After that three antipopes reigned in Avignon until 1423, when the Papacy finally returned to Rome.
33) He rendered valuable assistance to Pope Alexander II in his struggle with the antipope , Honorius II.
34) The antipope , at the insistence of France, ended by abdicating (7 April 1449).
35) One of the most important such monks was John Philagathus (the future antipope John XVI).
36) Callistus was determined to enter Rome which was occupied by the German forces and the antipope Gregory VIII.
37) Perhaps to demonstrate conciliation or because of political necessity, Henry withdrew his support for antipope Gregory VIII.
These examples have been automatically selected and may contain sensitive content that does not reflect the opinions or policies of our website. Please inform us about the inappropriate sentences:
This site is designed to teach you English words in context with collocations with the help of example sentences.
You can easily memorize the word and the meaning of antipope
and This is a fast way of learning the meaning of antipope with example sentences.
Always focus on the learning on sentences with antipope
We believe you will easily learn to write and use the word antipope in a sentence.
You can practice spelling and usage of the word by getting 10 examples of sentences with antipope.
20 examples of simple sentences of antipope. We tried to find and publish the the words with Simple Sentences of antipope
Compound Sentences with antipope
Complex Sentences with antipope
Compound-Complex Sentences with antipope